Sunday, October 24, 2010

Peri-menopause...the sweat years. (or; how to be a seasoned bed-sweater).

Sometime around my 40th year I started getting hot-flashes. 
They started in the winter.  I remember because I would go outside in the 20 degree weather to cool down.  They would hit me a couple times a month and only last for about 5 minutes.  Life would go on and I would forget about them til the next one hit.
At the age of 44, the hot flashes would come about 10 times a day and I would sweat profusely during them.  Trips in the car would leave me soaking wet if the heat was turned on.  I had to rearrange my seat in the living room so I was as far from the heater as possible. 
Because I soaked my clothing, I quit going out in public, except to do appointments and house-hold shopping.  It was/is too hard to feel comfortable while sweat is dripping down my face and my shirt is stuck to my torso. 
Life has become very simple during the peri-menopause years:  Take care of the house, shop for household items, hit thrift stores to keep my sweat pants & tank tops current and buy everything else online.  Simple!
I can't wait to get my life back...relatively sweat free. 
I want to wear my soft warm winter sweater, my fuzzy vest, my black cape---my motorcycle leathers!   That day is approaching....I'm ready. 
Pause already!!!!!

PS...Night sweats...the first time I had one (44) I thought I peed the bed (and I don't even drink alcohol)--until I realized my hair was soaked also.   Now at 48 I am a seasoned bed-sweater.   The best advice??? Invest in a few water-proof bed pads to lay under yourself or go for the large mattress cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment